Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tip #11

As a child, did you ever try to do a flip off of the diving board only to land on your back? I sure did and it hurt like hell. Only later on did I learn that the reason I never completed the turn was that I did not commit to finishing it. Fear? Probably. Okay, definitely. I was afraid of getting hurt so I never comitted and in the end I would up getting hurt because I did not commit.

Interesting paradox here. There are few outcomes depending upon how I began. First, I could never have tried to do a flip because I feared getting hurt. How many of us have never appempted something or have given up on a potential mate or never persued a dream because of fear? Duh. All of us.

Secondly, and in this case, I tried but never really comitted, so I wound up realizing my fear and getting hurt. Now some people said to me, well you tried, good for you. I knew that was BS and what hurt worse than the slap of my back on the cold, hard water was the knowing in my heart that I did not commit. I could have succeed, I had the talent, I had the desire, but fear overtook me so to get the accolades of my friends, I gave it a half-hearted attempt. Others did not see it, but I did and that is what really stung.

I also ran track as a young child and my specialty was the high jump. I was never really good at it but I was tall and thin so the coach just naturally assumed I could jump (I could not). One day while he was watching me flop over the bar, he pulled me aside and said "if you just throw your head over the bar, your heart will follow." Interesting advice.

Tip # 11 - Commit

Only you will ever know if you are commiting to your goals, to your office and to your life. Commitment takes heart. It takes direction and in many cases it takes being held accountable. Just last night I "thought" I had a great idea. There is a project buring deep in my soul that I want to take care of - creating an on-line hospital ministery. I ran this by both of my coaches thinking they would jump on board this worthwhile idea. They did not! I was already comitted to helping my fellow DC's and they refocused me. While this is very worthwhile, now is not the time. I am comitted to following my commitment and I am throwing my head over the bar because to achieve this ginourmous task, I will need all of the heart I can muster.

My whole point here is that one, there is no chiropractor better than you - there are a few that may be more comitted. If you want you can be one of them - just commit - then follow your commitment. Two, most successful chiropractors have mentors - I have two. I am a big idea person but have a hard time following through. I know that about myself so I surround myself with detail people and people who will hold me accountable. Three, If you never try, you will always fail - if you try but do not commit, you will hurt your heart more than your back (little lesson on responsibility there). Three, if you try, and commit, you may fail but you may also soar over the bar with plenty of room to spare. Only you can decide. Choose to commit. The world needs you to succeed!

Lesson # 11 - Commit

No comments:

Post a Comment