Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tip # 12

What would you do if you opened the doors to your office and were suddenly flooded with calls from 100 people who wanted to schedule new patient appointments. Now I know your first reaction is hell yes! Bring 'em on. But let's be realistic, could you handle it or would you and your staff have a major meltdown. How about if ten new patients called or even five. Let's stop there for a moment and think about it. Honestly, how would you handle it it five new patients called and all wanted to come in today - how would you do?

All things happen in perfect time and maybe the phone isn't ringing off of the hook because the Universe knows that you are not equipped to handle anything more than what you currently have. Let's be totally honest for a moment because this is not something you learn as it's happening. What does that mean?

Simply if you office was flooded with new patient calls:

- Is your staff equipped to handle it. Right now can you put your hands on 10 new patient intake packets?
- Do you have 10 time slots available. If not are you willing to come in early, work through lunch and then stay late?
- Are your procedures in place and tight enough for smooth patient flow and follow up?
- If you get hit like that, how will your current patients be affected?

These are just a few of the thousand issues which face a high-volume offices on a daily basis. Muhammed Ali was quotes once as saying "The fight is won far from the shining lights and long before the roar of the crowd. It is won at 4:00am while I am running on a dark cold patch of highway all by myself."

Tip #12 - All Things in Time

A few doctors have contacted me and asked "when I was going to get into the good stuff." They liked what I was writng about but they wanted to get into things like "How to Attract a Million New Patients and Make a Bazillion Dollars in Two Days a Week." Even if it could be done - it would be a disater and yes I am exagerating but you get the point. Doc's - "this is the good stuff"! Please re-read Ali's quote.

The truth be told, most doctors would crumble if they received everything they wanted at this very moment because they do not have the systems and procedures in place to handle the masses they so desire. So before we run, let's build a great foundation to build upon. Let's figure out who we are, what type of practice we want to run. Let's take a behind the scenes look at what successful chiropractors really do. These people do not just wake up in the morning and go into a busy practice. They did not just get lucky or live in the "right" community. These doctors have a strict set of rules they live by, they get up early and work on themselves before they work on others, they receive the message before they give the message, they work on their goals so they can achieve their goals, they put chiropractic in their hearts before they can put it into the hearts of others and they study and implement business skills, stratagies and mindsets so they can handle the onslought of new patients they now so richly deserve and are ready for. And that kind of stuff is usually done between the hours of 4:00 am and 7:00 am.I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but - that is just the beginning.

No one said it was going to be easy - if it was, everyone would be doing it. The point here is that the steps to achieving the office of your dreams are easy and they all work but the elevator to the top is out of order - you are going to have to hoof it up the steps and that is where many Doc's get into trouble, they want, want, want but are unwilling to do the work necessary to achieve - or even be able to handle all of their wants should they somehow show up.

Let's get a reality check for a moment. I have harped on Goal Setting for months now. Every motivational speaker harps on goals, every paster, speaker, trainer, writer and motivator harps on goal setting. You have read it, you have heard it and at the heart level you know it to be true - but have you done it? I am guessing the answer is no. Sorry to those of you that have. But why have YOU not done this simple thing? It works. It's been proven to work. Every major player says it works. This is exactly what I am talking about. Getting to the top takes hard work. You can not skip the steps because you did not want to do them.

Yesterday I had the privelage of getting flight instruction from a 30 year 747 pilot. Now this is an incredible opportunity which most pilot's never get - and he gave his time for free. I am a pretty accomplished pilot but I am not even remotely in the same league as this guy. When he said to do something, I put my pride away, absorbed what he had to say and implemented his suggestions. After one lesson, I am already a better pilot. I am not capable of flying a 747 after one lesson because I do not know their systems and procedure and I have not put my time in but eventually with continued training - at his pace I will be able to. (not on my goal list - just a point).

Do you know what he said to me at the end of the lesson. He said "Well, you need a little work but you've already have some skill. He said, what I really like is that you have a good attitude and are willing to learn." Now I could have been offended - What do you mean - need a little work or I could have taken his advice and not implemented his suggestions. With his help, I will become a better pilot. Oh yeah, this guy started his lesson not in the air but we spent two hours on the ground first going over paperwork, and pre-flighting the plane before we ever stepped inside of it and then we did "day one" manuevers for the next 2 hours. Boring - Heck no. Although I already knew this stuff, I was proficient at the private pilot level but I am training with him because I want to take my skills to the next level. Make sense?

There is no quick road to the top. There are tips which will help you jump start things and we will but first understand tip #12.

Tip #12 - Everything in Time

No comments:

Post a Comment